Thursday, July 3, 2014

The Falconer by Elizabeth May



Publication: May 6, 2104

Publisher: Chronicle Books


Heiress. Debutant. Murderer. A new generation of heroines has arrived.

Edinburgh, Scotland, 1844

Lady Aileana Kameron, the only daughter of the Marquess of Douglas, was destined for a life carefully planned around Edinburgh’s social events – right up until a faery killed her mother.

Now it’s the 1844 winter season and Aileana slaughters faeries in secret, in between the endless round of parties, tea and balls. Armed with modified percussion pistols and explosives, she sheds her aristocratic facade every night to go hunting. She’s determined to track down the faery who murdered her mother, and to destroy any who prey on humans in the city’s many dark alleyways.

But the balance between high society and her private war is a delicate one, and as the fae infiltrate the ballroom and Aileana’s father returns home, she has decisions to make. How much is she willing to lose – and just how far will Aileana go for revenge?


After the murder of her mother, Aileana is on a mission to hunt down and kill every single faery she can find. Especially the one who killed her mother. But her task is made even more difficult since she is a young lady of high society and she must be mindful of rules and appearances.

Aileana is one determined, headstrong, and tough gal. I love strong heroines. I can’t really say that I connected with her, but I will admit that she was interesting and a little complex.

This is one of the first steampunk books I have tried and I’m glad it did not disappoint. Some of the weapons and contraptions that are used in this story sounded really cool. I wished they were real.

I think the author did a good job with the world building and combining all of the different historical fiction, fantasy, and steampunk aspects into the story. Granted this is the first book I’ve read that combines all of those elements into one story, so I have nothing really to compare it to yet.

I wasn’t disappointed by the story, but I wasn’t wowed either. I liked it. Thought it was entertaining, but I never got that ‘OMG I have to keep reading this book to find out what happens next’ feeling.




RATING: 3 out of 5.

**I received this book on behalf of the publisher in exchange for nothing but my honest opinion. Thank you.**





 BUY:
Amazon B&N Kobo






Join the Addiction:
           

No comments:

Post a Comment