Friday, July 19, 2013

The Distance Between Us by Kasie West

 
 
 
 
Publication: July 2, 2013
Publisher: HarperTeen
 
Seventeen-year-old Caymen Meyers studies the rich like her own personal science experiment, and after years of observation she’s pretty sure they’re only good for one thing—spending money on useless stuff, like the porcelain dolls in her mother’s shop.

So when Xander Spence walks into the store to pick up a doll for his grandmother, it only takes one glance for Caymen to figure out he’s oozing rich. Despite his charming ways and that he’s one of the first people who actually gets her, she’s smart enough to know his interest won’t last. Because if there’s one thing she’s learned from her mother’s warnings, it’s that the rich have a short attention span. But Xander keeps coming around, despite her best efforts to scare him off. And much to her dismay, she's beginning to enjoy his company.

She knows her mom can’t find out—she wouldn’t approve. She’d much rather Caymen hang out with the local rocker who hasn’t been raised by money. But just when Xander’s attention and loyalty are about to convince Caymen that being rich isn’t a character flaw, she finds out that money is a much bigger part of their relationship than she’d ever realized. And that Xander’s not the only one she should’ve been worried about.
 
I fell in love with Kasie West’s writing when I first read Pivot Point earlier this year. I really enjoyed it, so when I heard she was writing another book I said sign me up!
I adored Caymen. She is a strong, caring, and has plenty of sarcasm to spare. Sarcasm is my second language so I appreciated Caymen’s quick wit.  
“A lot of people don’t get my humor. My mom calls it dry humor. I think that means “not funny,” but it also means I’m the only one who ever knows it’s a joke.”
-Kasie West, The Distance Between Us
Caymen is a senior in high school who helps her mom out by working at her doll shop. She has a really close relationship with her mom, which was nice to see.
Xander is charming, sweet, good looking, and of course one smooth operator.
Because  Caymen’s mom has instilled in her a strong dislike for rich people. She already has her mind made up about Xander from the get go. But after Caymen and Xander begin spending time together, they discover that they are more alike and have more in common than they thought.
It’s silent for a long time before he says, “Did you need something?’
You. “I’ve needed my morning hot chocolate, but someone got me addicted to it then took it away.”
“Is that your subtle way of saying you missed me last week?"

"I've missed my hot chocolate. I just think of you as the guy who brings it to me. Sometimes I forget your name and call you hot chocolate guy.”
He laughs a little, and I find myself wishing I could see his face so I could witness how his eyes light up when he smiles.
“And I’ve missed your wit.”
“Understandable.”
-Kasie West, The Distance Between Us
It didn’t feel like the average rich boy/poor girl story. It went beyond that.  The characters were well developed; there were secrets thrown into the story, and of course the cutest romance. Insta-love? Not welcome in this story and I was glad of it.
The Distance Between Us is the perfect lay on the beach, chill in the backyard summertime read. It is sweet, touching, real, and will put a smile on your face.  
 
Rating 4 out of 5.
 
 
 
 

BUY:


 
 
 
 
Join the Addiction:

No comments:

Post a Comment