Monday, April 1, 2013

That Time I Joined The Circus by J.J. Howard


That Time I Joined The Circus Cover Image

Synopsis:
Lexi Ryan just ran away to join the circus, but not on purpose.
A music-obsessed, slightly snarky New York City girl, Lexi is on her own. After making a huge mistake--and facing a terrible tragedy--Lexi has no choice but to track down her long-absent mother. Rumor has it that Lexi's mom is somewhere in Florida with a traveling circus.
When Lexi arrives at her new, three-ring reality, her mom isn't there . . . but her destiny might be. Surrounded by tigers, elephants, and trapeze artists, Lexi finds some surprising friends and an even more surprising chance at true love. She even lucks into a spot as the circus's fortune teller, reading tarot cards and making predictions.
But then Lexi's ex-best friend from home shows up, and suddenly it's Lexi's own future that's thrown into question.
With humor, wisdom, and a dazzlingly fresh voice, this debut reminds us of the magic of circus tents, city lights, first kisses, and the importance of an excellent playlist


******************************************************

“And if you feel just like a tourist in the city you were born. Then it’s time to go” 
–Death Cab for Cutie, “You Are A Tourist”

Lexi is a music loving seventeen year old living in New York with her dad. But her life gets turned upside down in such a short time span. One minute she was enjoying her life with her dad and best friends Eli and Bailey. Then the next minute her dad is dead, she has a few days to leave her apartment, her friendship with her two friends is ruined, and to top things off, her dad’s will gave what little money he did have left to his ex-wife, Lexi’s mom. Essentially leaving Lexi with nothing. Not having many options, she begins her search for her mom by boarding a bus to Florida in hopes of finding her performing at a circus. Instead what she does end up finding is something better….

I liked that the beginning of each chapter has a quote of a song, like the one at the top of this review. Some of the songs I had heard before, others I had not. After reading this I did want find the ones I hadn't and listen to them. Her dad may not have been very responsible at times and he had a tendency to forget some important things, but I loved Lexi’s relationship with him. It was because of him, that she developed such a deep appreciation and love for good music.

Reading this book made me think of  my own experiences at the circus.I can’t say I've always wanted to run off and join the circus, but I always liked the idea of the circus. I went for the first time when I was a little kid, but I don’t really remember it. When I got older though I had the opportunity to go again and I remember this feeling of amazement and wonder. There was so much to see and the performers are so talented. I loved every minute of it. I think everyone should go at least once.

Lexi’s voice felt real and unique. As the story progressed, it was easy for me to want to get to know more about her. The story kept a nice flow and I was sad to see it end.

Rating: 4½ out of 5.


** I received this book from Scholastic Inc. in exchange for nothing, but my honest review. Thank you.**


Buy:





My Blog: http://lifeasabookaddict.blogspot.com/   Facebook Me: 
Facebook Me: http://www.facebook.com/TheLifeTimesOfABookAddict 
Follow Me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/BookAddict4Life

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed the book. I wasn't a huge fan of it. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete