Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire



Beautiful Disaster was my first YA adult book dealing with college students. And I loved it. The story hooked me. It all started with a bet...Abby is trying to be the good girl and Travis is a bad boy who is used to girls fawning over him all of the time. Despite their differences they become friends, but Travis seems to want more unlike Abby who isn't interested. They end up making a bet that if Travis loses a fight he won't sleep with anyone for a month and if Abby loses she has to live with him in his apartment for a month. That’s when things get more interesting between these two. Their friendship progresses into something more which everyone but Abby seems to realize.

He gripped my shoulders. “The way I feel about you…it’s crazy.” “You got the crazy part right,” I snapped, pulling away from him.  I practiced this in my head the whole time we were on the bike, so just hear me out,” he said. “Travis—““I Know we’re fucked up, all right? I’m impulsive, and hot-tempered, and you get under my skin like no one else. You act like you hate me one minute, and then you need me the next. I never get anything right, and I don’t deserve you…but I fucking love you, Abby. I love you more than I’ve loved anyone or anything, ever.  When you’re around, I don’t need booze, or money, or the fighting, or the one-night stands…all I need is you. You’re all I think about. You’re all I dream about. You’re all I want.” My plan to feign ignorance was an epic fail. I couldn’t pretend to be impervious when he had laid all of his cards on the table. When we met, something inside both of us had changed, and whatever that was, it made us need each other. For reasons unknown to me, I was his exception, and as much as I had tried to fight my feelings, he was mine.  – Jamie McGuire, Beautiful Disaster

I liked the intensity and passion that they created when they were together. Their relationship was deep and at times borderline unhealthy, but I could not stop reading. It took me on an emotional ride that would not let up. They each came with their own set of issues and baggage. I liked how the author explored some of their background, so that the characters could be better understood. Even though their relationship was crazy, it worked…they worked. They made each other happy and understood each other like no one else did.  I was rooting for them the whole way. I have to say Beautiful Disaster quickly became one of my favorites, one that I will re-read often. 




RATING: 5 out of 5.



                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
                                                                


1 comment:

  1. Great Review - agreed with it all!! I loved that their relationship was passionate and electric. But at times I was like ugh this is not healthy. I couldn't stop reading and rooted for them throughout the book.

    Can't wait to read Walking Disaster!!!!

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete