Friday, August 14, 2015

Shattered Witness by Anna DeStefano




Publication: November 11, 2014
Publisher: Montlake Romance
Source: Publisher

A brutal assault leaves high-powered CEO Shaw Cassidy’s memory shattered. Her isolated estate on High Lake Mountain should be her haven, but nightmares and eerie shadows threaten her sanity. A shot in the night sends her running from the creaking Victorian into the arms of a stranger she instinctively trusts. But is he her hero, or her downfall?

Time is running out for special agent Cole Marinos. His undercover assignment: to protect his childhood sweetheart—the lost love who broke his heart. His reality: Shaw is suspected of treason. To uncover the top-secret government leak that will exonerate her, he must trigger her memories of her stalker…and of Cole’s long-ago betrayal.

The evil tracking Shaw closes in, each attack more cruel and personal than the last. And each is designed to implicate Cole. With Shaw’s memory returning and her life on the line, is she trusting a man she once promised to love forever? Or is Cole the monster who wants her dead?

Revised edition: Previously published as Her Forgotten Betrayal, this edition of Shattered Witness includes editorial revisions.
The beginning of the story started off strong and grabbed my attention. I am a sucker for amnesia stories with strong characters.  Throw in some romance and a good amount of suspense and I am sold.

Cassidy Shaw has had a difficult life. She is the only living member of her family. But she is tough. A fighter. And she runs/owns a successful company that was left to her by her father. Her life changes dramatically when she suspects someone of stealing her company's information and attempts to thwart the bad guys herself. Because of that she ends up in the hospital with amnesia. But for her the trouble/danger is not over.

Cole Marinos is good at being a special agent. He’s spent the last several years building walls and separating his emotions because of what happened with him and Cassidy when they were 15 years old. He thought it was behind him, that he moved on.  Until he gets assigned to watch over her and find out if she really is guilty of treason.

I love a good romantic suspense novel, but Shattered Witness was just an okay read for me. It was a quick weekend read, but it didn’t leave me wanting more unfortunately. And the romance was a little lackluster. The story was well written, but at times it seemed a bit rushed and not believable. Plus I guessed the bad guy pretty early on in the story. I really wanted to like it, but in the end it fell short. 
I seem to be striking out on the romantic suspense books I’ve been reading lately. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that I will love the next one I come across.  



RATING: 2½-3 out of 5.



Buy the Book:





Join the Addiction:
My Blog: | Twitter | BlogLovin’ | Facebook


No comments:

Post a Comment