Monday, January 12, 2015

Suspicion by Alexandra Monir



Release Date: December 9, 2014
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Source: Publisher

A modern-day twist on the classic thriller, Rebecca, with a dash of the supernatural, a powerful romance, and a deadly family mystery.
“There’s something hidden in the maze.”
Seventeen-year-old Imogen Rockford has never forgotten the last words her father said to her, before the blazing fire that consumed him, her mother, and the gardens of her family’s English country manor.
For seven years, images of her parents’ death have haunted Imogen’s dreams. In an effort to escape the past, she leaves Rockford Manor and moves to New York City with her new guardians. But some attachments prove impossible to shake—including her love for her handsome neighbor Sebastian Stanhope.
Then a life-altering letter arrives that forces Imogen to return to the manor in England, where she quickly learns that dark secrets lurk behind Rockford’s aristocratic exterior. At their center is Imogen herself—and Sebastian, the boy she never stopped loving.
Combining spine-tingling mystery, romance, and unforgettable characters,Suspicion is an action-packed thrill ride.
After Imogene’s parents die in a horrible fire at Rockford Manor, she tries her best to move on with her adoptive family in New York. Though for years she carries guilt about leaving Lucia alone/behind. When she finds out that Lucia died in an accident at Rockford, Imogene decides to leave NY and accept her inheritance at Rockford. She is warned from the beginning that her return will lead to danger, but Imogene sort of brushes it off and hopes for the best.  When strange occurrences begin to happen, it becomes clear there is more going on than meets the eye.
I did find that there were some  parallels between both Rebecca and Suspicion. With each chapter that I read, my suspicions grew. Some things I guessed might happen, but nothing was certain. Bits and pieces of the original owners (Charles 1 and his wife) life were lightly talked about or hinted at, but I would have loved to know more about them. Especially Charles I’s wife (who was believed to be an occultist).

I wasn’t completely sold on the twist in the story towards the end. I was surprised and can say I did not see the ending coming, but I don’t see how it was even possible.  I might be overthinking things, but I feel like someone should’ve notice something or thought something was amiss. Other than that, I thought the story seem to flow at nice pace and I ended up moving through it rather easily. I didn’t fall in love with it like I was hoping I would, but I did enjoy reading it nonetheless.


RATING: 3 out of 5.

BUY:



Join the Addiction:
My Blog: | Twitter | BlogLovin’ | Facebook

1 comment:

  1. I need to read my copy of this. None of the reviews are blowing me away but hopefully I'll at least like it!

    ReplyDelete