Monday, July 1, 2013

The Rose Throne by Mette Ivie Harrison




Synopsis:
Richly-imagined fantasy romance from the author of Princess and the Hound, a tale of two princesses--one with magic, one with none--who dare seek love in a world where real choice can never be theirs. For fans of Megan Whalen Turner, Catherine Fisher, and Cassandra Clare.

Ailsbet loves nothing more than music; tall and red-haired, she's impatient with the artifice and ceremony of her father's court. Marissa adores the world of her island home and feels she has much to offer when she finally inherits the throne from her wise, good-tempered father. The trouble is that neither princess has the power--or the magic--to rule alone, and if the kingdoms can be united, which princess will end up ruling the joint land? For both, the only goal would seem to be a strategic marriage to a man who can bring his own brand of power to the throne. But will either girl be able to marry for love? And can either of these two princesses, rivals though they have never met, afford to let the other live?
Historical fiction with princesses, magic, and a very pretty cover were all the ingredients I needed to be sold on this book.
Unfortunately even though I liked the certain aspects of the story, I didn’t like it as much as I hoped I would.
The story is told from both princesses point of view. The world building was really good and the two princesses Ailsbet and Marissa were both interesting in their own right. Marissa of Weirland and Ailsbet of Rurik are sixteen years old.
They are both strong young women that come from completely opposite worlds, but even though they may be different, they share a common goal. To rule the new kingdom.  Well one wants nothing to do with ruling a kingdom, but as a princess, it is pretty much expected of her.
 There was quite a bit of anticipation in regards to what would happen to the two kingdoms. But by the end of the book there is still much to resolve.
I would have liked to know the history of the magic and how it came to be. Maybe the author will get more into that in the second book of this series..
The story was interesting, but I was not hooked on it like I was hoping. I wish it had more depth and details, but again maybe it will in the second book of the series.

Rating: 3 out of 5.

**I received this book on behalf of Egmont USA in exchange for nothing, but my honest opinion. Thank you.**

BUY:


Join the Addiction:

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a very interesting book. I'm sad it wasn't as big of a hit as you hoped it would be. I may still look into it. If you decide to read the second one I hope it gives you some answers!

    It's a Book Life

    ReplyDelete