Friday, April 5, 2013

Walking Disaster by Jamie McGuire


Walking Disaster by Jamie McGuire Image Cover

Synopsis:

Finally, the highly anticipated follow-up to the New York Times bestseller Beautiful Disaster. Can you love someone too much?
Travis Maddox learned two things from his mother before she died: Love hard. Fight harder.
In Walking Disaster, the life of Travis is full of fast women, underground gambling, and violence. But just when he thinks he is invincible, Abby Abernathy brings him to his knees.
Every story has two sides. In Beautiful Disaster, Abby had her say. Now it’s time to see the story through Travis’s eyes.


*************************************************

“One of these days you’re going to fall in love, son. Don’t settle for just anyone. Choose the girl that doesn’t come easy, the one you have to fight for, and then never stop fighting. Never”— she took a deep breath—“ stop fighting for what you want.
-Jamie McGuire, Walking Disaster: A Novel

When I heard that Jamie McGuire was writing Walking Disaster, I was so ecstatic because I absolutely loved reading Beautiful Disaster.
For those of you thinking or hoping that Walking Disaster is a continuation from Beautiful Disaster, I hate to be the one to break it to you, but sadly it is not. This one is a companion book to BD. The same story told from Travis Maddox’s POV. If you have yet to read Beautiful Disaster I would definitely read it before tackling WD. My review of BD can be found here: BD Review.

You might think what is the point of reading Walking Disaster if you have already read BD? Well for me, WD enhanced Abby and Travis’s story. Walking Disaster felt more like a book that complimented BD.  Combined, the reader, i.e., me get the full experience.

Travis is a dog plain and simple. He is far from perfect. He practically goes after any hot female with pulse. And he drinks, and is involved in cage fighting. But something happens to him once Abby Abernathy enters his world.

“I decided a long time ago I would feed on the vultures until a dove came along. A pigeon. The kind of soul that didn't impede on anyone; just walked around worrying about its own business, trying to get through life without pulling everyone else down with its own needs and selfish habits. Brave. A communicator. Intelligent. Beautiful. Soft-spoken. A creature that mates for life. Unattainable until she has a reason to trust you.”
-Jamie McGuire, Walking Disaster: A Novel

He doesn't magically do a 180 and change his destructive ways, but he does see something different in her. He knows right away that she is someone special and he treats her that way. From then on he is determined to have a friendship with her even though at first Abby, is not really convinced they should even have one.


Reading it made me smile, and reminded me of all the reasons why I loved BD so much, plus it reinforced my love for Travis. Seeing everything through his eyes was awesome. It helped me understand his thought process and reasoning behind his actions better. And the Epilogue was the perfect conclusion. I have three words that describe how I felt: I LOVED IT!!! 


Rating: 4½ out of 5.


**I received this book from Simon & Schuster / Atria Books in exchange for nothing but my honest opinion.Thank you.**





My Blog: http://lifeasabookaddict.blogspot.com/
Facebook Me: http://www.facebook.com/TheLifeTimesOfABookAddict 
Follow Me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/BookAddict4Life

No comments:

Post a Comment