Sunday, September 30, 2012

Crow's Row by Julie Hockley



Emily Sheppard is a freshman at Callister University in New York. She decides to enjoy her summer vacation by herself. She spends her days working at the university library and in the evenings/nights she finds comfort in running. Emily comes from a wealthy family, but she does not want anything to do with her parents or their money. That is why she chose to live in a not so great area of town and go to a small lesser known university. She wants to learn how to make it on her own.

 In the course of one of her many jogs through the cemetery where her brother Bill is buried, she happens to witness someone being murdered. She recognizes Cameron (having met him previously when his dog Meatball attacked her while she was jogging) before everything goes black. She wakes up in an unfamiliar place and realizes she has been taken against her will. Cameron tells her that he is just protecting her and it is not safe for her to go back to her home yet. So Emily is forced to live with him and his gang until he decides she is free to go…if he decides she is free to go... 

During the course of her stay, Emily finds out that Cameron is a 26 year old crime boss. Even though his morals are in question and he seems to be hiding something, Emily finds herself falling for him. Cameron feels something for Emily as well, but he tries to fight it, fearing that it can only end in heartbreak.

“You’re beautiful, Emmy. Why can’t you see that? I didn’t know how to answer that. Cameron hadn’t been there when kids were trying to outdo each other on finding new nicknames for me or when they were taking bets in high school on whether I had red hair, all over. He took a breath, reached over and swept a lingering hair away from my face. For me, there’s no one else but you. A tear escaped the corner of my eye and slid down the side of my nose. Then why won’t you kiss me? His eyes were piercing. Do you know how hard this is for me? I want to kiss you. I want to wrap my arms around you, never let you go.”  -Julie Hockley, Crow’s Row

Is it an emotional read? Yes
Will it make you cry? Yes.
Is it worth it? OMG Totally!

Crow’s Row is one of the best books I have read this year; my only regret was that I didn’t discover it sooner.  The characters were in-depth, and there is enough suspense and twists in the story that keep it interesting. I loved this book. I felt like I was on a rollercoaster ride filled with highs and lows and I didn’t want to get off. The ending took me by surprise and all I wanted to know was where is the sequel???  Unfortunately Scare Crow, the sequel to Crow’s Row is slated to come out next year, so I will have to develop a little patience.

Rating: 4 ½ out of 5.


@ AMAZON

@ BARNES & NOBLE

@ KOBO


My Blog: http://lifeasabookaddict.blogspot.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheLifeTimesOfABookAddict
Twitter: https://twitter.com/BookAddict4Life

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I have wanted to read this one for awhile but never got around to it! We are new followers!

    http://confessionsofnoveljunkies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete