Tuesday, December 1, 2015

When a Scot Ties the Knot (Castles Ever After #3) by Tessa Dare



Publication: August 25, 2015
Publisher: Avon
Source: Purchased Book


On the cusp of her first London season, Miss Madeline Gracechurch was shyly pretty and talented with a drawing pencil, but hopelessly awkward with gentlemen. She was certain to be a dismal failure on the London marriage mart. So Maddie did what generations of shy, awkward young ladies have done: she invented a sweetheart.
A Scottish sweetheart. One who was handsome and honorable and devoted to her, but conveniently never around. Maddie poured her heart into writing the imaginary Captain MacKenzie letter after letter … and by pretending to be devastated when he was (not really) killed in battle, she managed to avoid the pressures of London society entirely.
Until years later, when this kilted Highland lover of her imaginings shows up in the flesh. The real Captain Logan MacKenzie arrives on her doorstep—handsome as anything, but not entirely honorable. He’s wounded, jaded, in possession of her letters… and ready to make good on every promise Maddie never expected to keep.
 
From the very moment I read the premise, I just knew I would like this book. It seemed to be both sweet and funny; just what I was looking for.
I loved this book. I cannot recall the last time I enjoyed a historical fiction romance more this year. Tessa Dare is my go to writer in that particular genre, and so far she hasn’t disappointed. I may not always love them, but I do like them. Up until now A Week to Be Wicked was my favorite book of hers. Now I am not so sure…When a Scot Ties the Knot is coming a close second to that one.
Madeline is a pretty woman, but she suffers from severe shyness. Whenever she is in the presence of a large number of people she freezes like a deer in the headlights; which is why she doesn’t care to have a debut or go to balls. After creating the story about a handsome Scottish captain in the military she found the perfect escape route. Or so she thought. After she “kills off” her imaginary love, Maddie inherits a castle in Scotland from her godfather. With just herself and her Aunt Thea, she is able to do what she loves…draw. Maddie is a naturalist. She has aspirations of becoming a well known illustrator. Maddie has a great talent for drawing animals, insects, and pretty much anything she puts her mind to. She always carries a pencil with her, no matter what.  
Who doesn’t love a guy who reads? Especially when that man is a sexy and well muscled Scot. I loved that twist...it was something I was not expecting. But it made logan even sexier in my opinion.  Logan is used to be in charge and having men under his command. He is very loyal to his men and he’s determined to see them have a home, land, and to make sure they find some sort of happiness. He thinks he isn’t a good man. He doesn’t expect or want love. But all of that changes when he meets Maddie.
I really enjoyed getting to know both of these characters. My only issue is that I felt that for all of the secrets Maddie shared in those letters to Logan (even though she didn’t believe him to be real at the time) he could have been more forthcoming with her about his life. I know that wasn’t the goal in the beginning. They had an arrangement, but still it would have been nice.

When a Scot Ties the Knot was one of the sweetest and funniest stories I have read so far this year. I fell in love with both Maddie and Logan almost instantly. They have great chemistry. I couldn’t get enough of them. If you are looking for your next historical romance read then look no farther.




RATING: 5 out of 5.


BUY THE BOOK:

Amazon | B&N | Kobo

Books-a-Million | Book Depository | iBooks









Join the Addiction:
  

No comments:

Post a Comment