Thursday, November 6, 2014

Attachments by Rainbow Rowell



Publication: April 14, 2011
Publisher: Plume / Penguin
Source: Publisher



"Hi, I'm the guy who reads your e-mail, and also, I love you . . . "

Beth Fremont and Jennifer Scribner-Snyder know that somebody is monitoring their work e-mail. (Everybody in the newsroom knows. It's company policy.) But they can't quite bring themselves to take it seriously. They go on sending each other endless and endlessly hilarious e-mails, discussing every aspect of their personal lives.

Meanwhile, Lincoln O'Neill can't believe this is his job now- reading other people's e-mail. When he applied to be "internet security officer," he pictured himself building firewalls and crushing hackers- not writing up a report every time a sports reporter forwards a dirty joke.

When Lincoln comes across Beth's and Jennifer's messages, he knows he should turn them in. But he can't help being entertained-and captivated-by their stories.

By the time Lincoln realizes he's falling for Beth, it's way too late to introduce himself.

What would he say . . . ?

Lincoln’s job is to go through company emails and flag them for inappropriate usage. He is super smart and accomplished (having multiple degrees).  He is somewhat socially awkward and still lives at home with his mother. Once he starts reading Beth and Jennifer’s emails, he can’t seem to stop himself from continuing to pry into Beth’s life. And his infatuation goes into creepy stalker mode a little I thought.
Lincoln’s POV does take up a good portion of the story, but Beth and Jennifer takes up the remainder. Reading their emails to each other was a lot of fun. Both ladies are sweet and likeable characters. It was easy for me to sympathize with them and the issues they had going on in their lives. The author did a good job of making theses characters seem relatable and real.
Attachments is a different sort of love story. It’s funny, a little weird, and sweet. This is the first time I have read adult fiction by Rainbow Rowell, but I did read Eleanor & Park, which I really enjoyed. Her writing is very well done, and so far both stories were entertaining and easy to read. I was a little uncertain at first about reading Attachments, but I ended up liking it. Like I said it’s not your typical love story, but that’s what ends up making it unique.



RATING: 3½ out of 5.




BUY THE BOOK:




Join the Addiction:
My Blog: | Twitter | BlogLovin’ | Facebook

1 comment:

  1. I too liked that this book was unique, but it did seem a little creepy at times.

    I have yet to read Eleanor and Park, but I read Fangirl and loved it!

    ReplyDelete