Monday, August 18, 2014

The Name of the Star (Shades of London #1) by Maureen Johnson



Publication: October 2, 2012
Publisher: Speak / Penguin
Source: Bought



Jack the Ripper is back,
and he's coming for Rory next....

Louisiana teenager Rory Deveaux arrives in London to start a new life at boarding school just as a series of brutal murders mimicking the horrific Jack the Ripper killing spree of more than a century ago has broken out across the city. The police are left with few leads and no witnesses. Except one. Rory spotted the man believed to be the prime suspect. But she is the only one who saw him - the only one who can see him. And now Rory has become his next target...unless she can tap her previously unknown abilities to turn the tables.

Rory is for the first time in her life own her own at a private boarding school in London. A long way from her home in Louisiana. She wants to experience something different, but I’m pretty sure nearly choking to death and developing the ability to see ghosts was not included in her plans. After she accidentally places herself in the path of a sick and twisted killer, she must learn how to stay one step ahead of him.

I loved the interactions Rory had with her roommates Jazza and Boo. There was a nice a mount of humor peppered throughout the story. Rory was smart and funny. There wasn’t any of that mean girls, high school drama happening in this story which I really appreciated.  

I love a good murder mystery and this book had been on my TBR list for a while. That has always been a fascinating case to me. Jack the Ripper. How he was able to commit several murders and was never caught. I think the Jack the Ripper case is something that even 50 years from now people will still find interesting. The premise of this book sounded really intriguing to me when I first heard it and I thought the author was creating a unique spin on the whole Jack the Ripper phenomenon.

There are ghosts, fun roommates, cute boys, kissing, weird secret police, and of course a killer. I wasn’t always on the edge of my seat while reading this book, but it did keep my interest. Once I got past the half-way mark things started picking up a little, and all I wanted to do was keep reading page after page until I finished the whole book and it was well past midnight. And that’s exactly what I did. The ending left me curious about what was to come in book two, The Madness Underneath, which is already out.



RATING: 3½ out of 5.


BUY:


Join the Addiction:
My Blog: | Twitter | BlogLovin’ | Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment