Monday, August 11, 2014

Her Royal Spyness (A Royal Spyness Mystery #1) by Rhys Bowen



Publication: July 1, 2008
Publisher: Berkley / Penguin
Source: Publisher / Bought

The Agatha Award winner debuts a 1930s London mystery series, featuring a penniless twenty-something member of the extended royal family.

Her ridiculously long name is Lady Victoria Georgiana Charlotte Eugenie, daughter to the Duke of Atholt and Rannoch. And she is flat broke. As the thirty-fourth in line for the throne, she has been taught only a few things, among them, the perfect curtsey. But when her brother cuts off her allowance, she leaves Scotland, and her fiancé Fish-Face, for London, where she has:

a) worked behind a cosmetics counter-and gotten sacked after five hours
b) started to fall for a quite unsuitable minor royal
c) made some money housekeeping (incognita, of course), and
d) been summoned by the Queen to spy on her playboy son.

Then an arrogant Frenchman, who wants her family's 800-year-old estate for himself, winds up dead in her bathtub. Now her most important job is to clear her very long family name.


Her Royal Spyness is a fun summer read that takes place during the 1930’s in London. Focusing on Georgie, a poor single heiress attempting to earn her own way and possibly find love in the process.

Not really trained to do anything, Georgie is determined to get a job regardless. Her attempts are a bit comical and it was very easy for me to root for her through it all. She is a funny and I loved her quick wit and dry sense of humor.

The mystery portion of the story is a little light. It didn’t happen right away, so I had to keep reading a bit before things started to pick up. But once it did, I thought it was pretty good.

After I started reading this, I decided to buy the audiobook and listen to it instead. I am so glad I did, because it was a really good narration and even more fun to listen to.  This was the first book in the Royal Spyness Mystery series and I can see myself picking up next book in the series.


RATING: 3½ out of 5.


BUY:



Join the Addiction:
My Blog: | Twitter | BlogLovin’ | Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment