Monday, January 27, 2014

Throne of Glass by Sarah Maas



Publication: August 7, 2012
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Children’s



In a land without magic, where the king rules with an iron hand, an assassin is summoned to the castle. She comes not to kill the king, but to win her freedom. If she defeats twenty-three killers, thieves, and warriors in a competition, she is released from prison to serve as the king's champion. Her name is Celaena Sardothien. 

The Crown Prince will provoke her. The Captain of the Guard will protect her. But something evil dwells in the castle of glass--and it's there to kill. When her competitors start dying one by one, Celaena's fight for freedom becomes a fight for survival, and a desperate quest to root out the evil before it destroys her world.


I do not know why I waited so long to read Throne of Glass by Sarah Maas. I really don’t…But regardless, I picked it up last week and it was all I could think about.

At first, I was expecting something a little like The Hunger Games but in a different period. It’s not really like that though. I’m glad to say it’s completely different. At least to me it was. 

Celaena Sardothien is a tough kick butt heroine. Trained to be an assassin since she was eight years old by the King of Assassins, she has learned a lot.  Now she is an eighteen year old who is smart, caring, a little arrogant…well no scratch that she is really arrogant about her skills and reputation as an assassin. After being imprisoned in the salt mines of Endovier for a year, Dorian Havilliard, Crown Prince of Adarlan gives her a way for her to earn her freedom…

Out of 23 competitors, Celaena is the only woman in the bunch. But of course she doesn’t find that the least bit intimidating.  Though she is confident in what she can do, the competition is far from a cakewalk even for someone like Celaena and soon people start ending up dead.  Worried not only about her safety, but those of her friends and people, she realizes that she must do whatever it takes to stop the evil that’s begun all while fighting to become the King’s Champion.

“She pulled her cloak around her. She would win. She’d win, and serve the king, and then vanish into nothing, and think no more of castles or kings or assassins. She didn’t wish to reign over this city again. Magic was dead, the Fae were banished or executed, and she would never again have anything to do with the rise and fall of kingdoms. She wasn’t fated for anything. Not anymore.”

Some of my favorite scenes include Dorian and Celaena. They have such witty banter. These two could argue/talk all day and I would never tire of it. There chemistry is great. I’m secretly hoping that they get together in the end.

“Don’t you pay people to entertain you?” He glowered, breaking the deck. “You should be honored by my company.” “I’d be honored if you would leave.” “For someone who relies on my good graces, you’re very bold.” “Bold? I’ve barely begun.” Lying on her side, she curled her knees to her chest. He laughed, pocketing the deck of cards. “Your new canine companion is doing well, if you wish to know.” She moaned into her pillow. “Go away. I feel like dying.” “No fair maiden should die alone,” he said, putting a hand on hers. “Shall I read to you in your final moments? What story would you like?” She snatched her hand back. “How about the story of the idiotic prince who won’t leave the assassin alone?” “Oh! I love that story ! It has such a happy ending, too— why, the assassin was really feigning her illness in order to get the prince’s attention! Who would have guessed it? Such a clever girl. And the bedroom scene is so lovely— it’s worth reading through all of their ceaseless banter!” “Out! Out! Out! Leave me be and go womanize someone else!” She grabbed a book and chucked it at him.”


I kept telling myself just one more chapter, one more chapter. I was so enthralled by the story that I quickly lost track of time and before I knew it, it was 4 in the morning. I haven’t gotten that into a book in forever. The pace of the story was good and there is plenty of action, adventure, deception, and solid characters that kept me more than a little entertained.  I. Loved. It. Now I am on to the second book, to discover what happens next. If you enjoy fantasy or historical fiction with some action/adventure than I would definitely recommend this book in an instant.



RATING: 5 out of 5.



BUY:





Join the Addiction:

2 comments:

  1. I have read so many reviews for this book and I'm so curious! Maybe I pick it up someday ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you like like it if/when you pick it up!

    ReplyDelete