Friday, October 11, 2013

OCD Love Story by Corey Ann Haydu




Expected Publication: July 23, 2013

Publisher: Simon Pulse

­­

Synopsis:
When Bea meets Beck, she knows instantly that he’s her kind of crazy. Sweet, strong, kinda-messed-up Beck understands her like no one else can. He makes her feel almost normal. He makes her feel like she could fall in love again.

But despite her feelings for Beck, Bea can’t stop thinking about someone else: a guy who is gorgeous and magnetic... and has no idea Bea even exists. But Bea knows a lot about him. She spends a lot of time watching him. She has a journal full of notes. Some might even say she’s obsessed.

Bea tells herself she’s got it all under control. But this isn’t a choice, it’s a compulsion. The truth is, she’s breaking down...and she might end up breaking her own heart.


When I first started reading OCD Love Story, I thought I had the plot of the story pretty much set up in my mind already. I pictured Bea as a typical teenage girl who meets a boy at her school and she then becomes obsessed with him to the point where it’s either scary, unhealthy, or both.

In some ways, I was correct, but there was a lot more to the story that I was not expecting. It surprised me. In a good way though.

Bea has OCD. But it’s not in the everything has to be in the right spot and clean as a whistle type of OCD that you may think of at first.

She is obsessed with the safety and well-being of others. So much so that on some occasions it borders on stalking. Bea has a lot of anxiety and fears. And sometimes it makes it hard to separate her fears from what is real.  Because of her OCD tendencies, she is in therapy and that is how she happens to meet the love interest in the story, Beck. Beck has is own issues with OCD…he is obsessed with exercising.

Bea and Beck had a really good connection. Even though I was rooting for Bea and Beck to make a success of their relationship, I couldn’t help but wonder with their helping each other or just enabling each other.

OCD Love Story was a unique story that I’m glad I had the opportunity to read. This was the first time that I have read a YA or any story for that matter that dealt with this subject matter. I liked it and thought that Bea was a great main character.

If realistic fiction and social issues are your thing then I would recommend this book to you.


RATING: 3½ out of 5.

**I received this book on behalf of the publisher in exchange for nothing, but my honest opinion, Thank you.**



BUY:




Join the Addiction:

1 comment:

  1. Doesn't seem like something I would like personally, but I'm glad you enjoyed it, more or less. :)

    Christie @ Read by the Undead

    ReplyDelete