Monday, July 8, 2013

This is W.A.R. by Lisa Roecker & Laura Roecker



Publication Date: July 2, 2013
Publisher: Soho Teen
Synopsis:
This is W.A.R. begins with a victim who can no longer speak for herself, and whose murder blossoms into a call-to-arms. Enter four very different girls, four very different motives to avenge Willa Ames-Rowan, and only one rule to start: Destroy James Gregory and his family at any cost. Willa's initials spell the secret rallying cry that spurs the foursome to pool their considerable resources and deliver their particular brand of vigilante justice. Innocence is lost, battles are won—and the pursuit of the truth ultimately threatens to destroy them all.

This is W.A.R. had a good beginning that grabbed my attention. It starts off with Willa Ames-Rowan drowning in Hawthorne Lake on the night of July 4th.
The story follows four of Willa’s friends as they attempt to avenge her death. They are pretty confident that they know James Gregory is the one who is responsible for their friends’ death. I was wondering how are they so sure it was him so quickly?
And since the Gregory family is loaded, the words consequence and punishment have little to no effect on them. This is where Rose, Lina, Madge, and Sloane come in with their own definition of justice.
They are an interesting group of friends, all different in personalities, but with a common goal they try to work together, though not always smoothly. It was nice to see them want the supposedly bad guy pay for what he did, but some of their revenge ideas should not have even been thought of…
And I have only one word for anyone who willingly, yes willingly takes a date rape drug, just because they felt like it.
STUPID.
Was it a bit over the top? Yes.
Did the storyline border on the unbelievable/crazy at times? Yes.
Is it amazing literature that made me feel differently about the world around me when I finished reading it? Nope.
It is what it is; a fun and crazy story that was a decent diversion from the real world this past weekend.  I had hoped that I would like it more than I did, but I guess it just wasn’t meant to be. The characters were ok, but I found myself not caring too much about them by the end. Revenge and being able to get away with practically anything if you are rich enough are the main themes in this book that readers on the younger end of the YA spectrum might be interested in.

Rating: 2½-3 out of 5.

**I received this book on behalf of Soho Teen in exchange for nothing, but my honest opinion. Thank you.**


BUY:



Join the Addiction:

No comments:

Post a Comment