Sunday, June 2, 2013

Book Review: When The Siren Calls by Tom Barry






Restless and neglected, Isobel is suffocating in a stagnant marriage. Suave and charismatic Jay is fighting for survival.
An invitation to visit Jay's resort in the hills of Tuscany sparks Isobel to
imagine a life of freedom and excitement.
Dismissing her husband’s objections, Isobel pursues Jay to Tuscany on the pretext of searching for a holiday home. After fighting anguished guilt, she abandons herself in a passionate affair, with her controlling lover encouraging Isobel to push beyond her sexual boundaries.
But all is not as it seems in the idyllic Tuscan retreat, and Isobel finds herself trapped in a web of intrigue, deception, and betrayal. She is one player in a dangerous love triangle, unsure whether Jay is her saviour, or her nemesis. As her world falls apart, she must choose between the woman she thought she was, and the woman she has become.


***************************************************************

When reading a book I normally enter the story with an understanding that there will be characters that I adore, like, feel lukewarm about, love to hate, and just plain hate. I would have to place the characters in this book under the just plain hate category. They basically have no redeeming qualities whatsoever. That was a little disappointing for me…

Isobel is supposed to feel restless and neglected. Her husband works a ton of hours and has little to no time to spend with her. Knowing that, I can understand why she would feel neglected, but to me she was spoiled. I didn’t think that she actually cared about anyone other than herself and she has no moral compass. I just could not bring myself to feel sorry for her.

Peter, Isobel’s husband doesn’t have a huge role in the book until the middle of the book or around there, so Jay and Isobel take center stage mostly.

Jay is a true con artist. He is involved in shady business practices and attempts to con Peter into one. The ultimate playboy; he cheats on his wife for no apparent reason to me except for the fact that he ‘loves’ women and likes to keep things interesting.  It isn’t long before he and Isobel cross paths and their so-called ‘friendship’ is taken to a new level. From then on there is no turning back…

The writing was good. The details of Tuscany had me picturing it all in my head as I read. I think I was expecting more of a romance story than there really was though. If cheating, lies, and characters you hate are what you enjoy reading, then you might like this.

I wasn’t hooked on the story and ultimately this book was not my cup of tea. I’m sure there will be readers out there who will feel the opposite and love it. I would recommend checking out a sample of the book to see if it suits your reading preference first.



Rating: 2½ - 3 out of 5.


**I received this book from Author/The LibraryThing Giveaway in exchange for just my honest opinion. Thank you.**



BUY:





My Blog: http://lifeasabookaddict.blogspot.com/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheLifeTimesOfABookAddict
Twitter: https://twitter.com/BookAddict4Life

No comments:

Post a Comment