Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Top Ten Books/Authors I’m Thankful For


a    This is my first time participating in the Top Ten Tuesday which is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish blog. This week’s topic is to list ten books/authors I am thankful for.  So here goes…


1
1     1. The Gemma Doyle Series – Libba Bray. This series was the first to grab my interest in witches, spells, and spooky things all happening in a Victorian/Gothic setting. I loved it.


2     2. Beautiful Disaster – Jamie McGuire. Travis & Abby are such a dysfunctional couple, but I still rooted for them to have their happy ending. This book helped to fuel my reading again after I had been in a bit of a reading hibernation. 
a                                                          
                                                                The Oath

1     3. The Oath – Frank Peretti – I read this book not long after it came out and it scared me so much I had to put it down at times and walk away. I never thought I would like scary/horror books, but Frank Peretti had me hooked. It was then I realized the fun in reading about things that go bump in the night.  His books never disappoint me.

 Gabriel's Rapture (Gabriel's Inferno, #2)

 4. Gabriel’s Inferno/Gabriel's Rapture – Sylvain Reynard. This man wrote an awesome love story that I will not soon forget. This touching story about love and redemption left me feeling affected like no other book has.

                                                          A Long Fatal Love Chase
3     5. A Long & Fatal Love Chase – Louisa May Alcott. When you hear the name Louisa May Alcott I think most people would automatically thing ‘Little Women” & “Jo’s Boys.” That’s what I think too or at least I did until I came across this book at the bookstore. It’s completely different from her other works. This one is a Gothic style suspense/thriller about a man who is obsessed with the main character and will stop at nothing until he haves her. I was enthralled. It’s been one of my all-time favorites.

                                                           Pride and Prejudice
4     6. Jane Austen – I remember receiving “Pride and Prejudice” for my 14th birthday…that was first time I had read a Jane Austen novel. Even though I had to carry a dictionary with me to look up a lot of the words, I thought it rocked. It’s a book I can and have re-read countless times and still manage to fall in love all over again. I’m thankful that Jane Austen wrote such touching and fun romances for the hopeless romantic in all of us. In my opinion no one does it better.

 The Coffin Quilt: The Feud Between the Hatfields and the McCoys

5     7. Ann Rinaldi – She is an awesome writer of historical fiction for young readers. The reason I mention her in my list is because she brought history to life for me when I was younger and for that I am thankful. It all started with “Hang a Thousand Trees With Ribbons” and “The Coffin Quilt.” And from there I was goner. I was instantly hooked on historical fiction.
                                                            
                                                         And Then There Were None

6    8. Agatha Christie – No one does mystery/suspense like Agatha Christie. I never see the ending coming when I read one of her books. They keep the reader guessing until the very end; which is the whole point in mystery books. Her books wills always stay on my bookshelf.
                                        
                                                Burned (Burned, #1)

7     9. Ellen Hopkins – I never thought I would like a book written in verse, until I read “Burned” by Ellen Hopkins. I’m thankful I gave this one a read because it opened me up to several other books of hers that I love. She writes about real and oftentimes hard situations regarding teens/young adults that combined with the verse style makes each book a unique read. When I read one of her books, I feel like I can connect with the characters and I enjoy that.

                               

8     10. This last one isn't a book, but it is something I am still thankful for. I am thankful for all of the books I have been introduced to, discovered, and read. Reading is such a great way to gain more knowledge and it gives us the opportunity to explore a variety of worlds and situations that we might not be able to do in the real world. And most importantly, it’s fun! Happy Reading J

15 comments:

  1. Great list! Love #10! Such a wonderful thing to be thankful for! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Disaster is such a good book. It should just be a girly story but it is addictive and you really want it to work out. Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read A Long Fatal Love Chase this year and it was *fantastic*. Louisa May made my top 10 list--I alternated between books and authors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you guys. There are so many books and authors that this was a hard list to do at first

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm reading the Gemma Doyle trilogy at the moment, it's great to see it on your list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Julianne! I enjoyed the Gemma Doyle series so much that I gave it out as gifts to my friends who like to read. It was an awesome read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adored Beautiful Disaster Emily...I'm excited for the release of Walking Disaster!

    ReplyDelete
  8. great list. love agatha christie ! great picks! Check out our TTT ~ Katie @ Inkk

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a copy of the first Gemma Doyle sitting on my bedside table right now just waiting for me to get around to reading it. And I think the Gabriel's Inferno looks really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pride and Prejudice is definitely my favorite book of all time. I have re-read it countless times, and will re-read it many more times in my life. I can't find a single thing about it that I dislike, and in fact seem to fall more in love with it with each re-read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Katie. I liked your list as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you like "A Great and Terrible Beauty" Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am exactly the same way with "Pride and Prejudice" as well Quinn. Glad you love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pride and Prejudice <3
    I wanted to add Agatha Christie to my list, but run out of numbers^^

    ReplyDelete
  15. There are too many authors Cayce. It makes it hard to narrow it down to ten.

    ReplyDelete