Monday, March 29, 2021

The Lost Village by Camilla Sten




About the Book:

Publication: March 23, 2021

Publisher: Minotaur Books

Source: Publisher



 

Synopsis:

 

The Blair Witch Project meets Midsommar in this brilliantly disturbing thriller from Camilla Sten, an electrifying new voice in suspense.

Documentary filmmaker Alice Lindstedt has been obsessed with the vanishing residents of the old mining town, dubbed “The Lost Village,” since she was a little girl. In 1959, her grandmother’s entire family disappeared in this mysterious tragedy, and ever since, the unanswered questions surrounding the only two people who were left—a woman stoned to death in the town center and an abandoned newborn—have plagued her. She’s gathered a small crew of friends in the remote village to make a film about what really happened.

But there will be no turning back.

Not long after they’ve set up camp, mysterious things begin to happen. Equipment is destroyed. People go missing. As doubt breeds fear and their very minds begin to crack, one thing becomes startlingly clear to Alice:

They are not alone.

They’re looking for the truth…
But what if it finds them first?

 

******

 

The Lost Village definitely had a creepy vibe going on. The story alternated between the Then and the Now, which I really enjoyed. The Now /present story with Alice and her crew making a film about the village was enjoyable. As things progressed for them though, their story wasn’t as suspenseful as I had hoped it would be. And some of the things that happened, like certain choices and actions did not make any sense to me. I started to enjoy reading the Then flashbacks more than I did the Now. I was very interested in learning what evil befell a whole village. As I started inching closer to the ending of the book, I felt dread for what was happening to the characters in the past and anticipation for the whole reveal. I was hooked on the Then story.


I would categorize this book as more of a suspenseful thriller than an actual horror story. I will say that unfortunately the ending was a bit lackluster for me. Despite that, it did continually keep my interest and I enjoyed reading it.  

 

 

RATING: 3 OUT OF 5.

 

 

BUY THE BOOK:

Amazon | B&N | Google Books Kobo

Books-a-Million iTunes | Book Depository






Join the Addiction:

My Blog: | Twitter | BlogLovin’ | Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment